I encourage you to support the Sacramento Active Transportation Commission’s (SacATC) sending the Status of Walking/Biking committee report to city council. The report is on the agenda for SacATC on this Thursday, 6:00PM to about 8:00PM.
The report is the first attempt since the early days of the SacATC to actually address transportation policy. The SacATC has unfortunately become a rubber stamp for city grant applications, and has not delved into policy since the early days when an update of the city’s Bicycle Master Plan being completed, and the ATC was able to make some improvements to that. The commission was formed to advise council on policy (it is NOT advisory to staff, but to the council), but has not done so. Now is the time, and this status report should be supported because it finally starts to address policy.
The status report includes nine recommendations:
- Increase Funding for Active Transportation
- Expand Speed Management Program
- Develop a Citywide Safe Routes to School Program
- Finalize the Construction Detour Policy
- Develop an ATC Dashboard
- Create a Sacramento Quick-Build Bikeways Program
- Pilot an Electric Bike Library & Promote E-Bike Incentives
- Increase Bike Parking
- Re-establish Slow & Active Streets
I’m sure you can think of many other recommendations that might be made, but this is a great start. If the council pays attention to these recommendations, and takes action to create and fund programs, the status of walking and bicycling will have improved by next year, and more items can be added.
You an express your support in several ways:
- Join the meeting on Zoom, at https://cityofsacramento-org.zoom.us/j/95847881874?pwd=MEMrZ25pQnV1UjB6K1ZTbkk5UXgvZz09. Raise your virtual hand in Zoom when the agenda item comes up (the status report is agenda item 6).
- Use the eComment feature, at https://sacramento.granicusideas.com/meetings/4593-active-transportation-commission/agenda_items. Comments are always included in the meeting record, but will only be shared with commission members before the meeting if submitted by 2:00PM.
- Call in by telephone, 888-788-0099, and ‘raise your hand’ by dialing *9 (star-nine) when the agenda item comes up.
Consult the agenda for more detail on making public comment. It used to be possible to submit email to the city clerk, but this option is no longer mentioned.
One thought on “support SacATC status on walking/biking (now!)”
How’d it go??